Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fort Bridger in Uinta County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

Muddy Creek Camp and Crossing

 
 
Muddy Creek Camp and Crossing Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, September 22, 2010
1. Muddy Creek Camp and Crossing Marker
Inscription. The Muddy Creek Camp, which was northwest of this marker and on the west side of the Muddy Creek was used by Brigham Young's first group of Mormon pioneers who arrived here on July 9, 1847. Thomas Bullock reported that the brethren sang hymns for President Brigham Young, and they had a delightful evening. This camp had good water and plenty of grass, and the animals were well-fed by the tall bunch-grass growing along the creek. Erastus Snow described the campground as "very pretty."

It was one of the most heavily used camps on the Overland-Mormon-California-Pony Express Trails. Approximately 70,000 Mormon pioneers crossed, passed through, or camped at Muddy Creek Campground. The U.S. Army camped here with 2,000 men in June of 1858. Both the Martin and the Willie handcart companies crossed here in November of 1856 while traveling with rescue wagons. The Muddy Overland Stage Stop and Pony Express Station were located at this site, and foundation stones may still be seen along the west bank of Muddy Creek. The road by this marker was the original Transcontinental Railroad bed of 1869. The Transcontinental Telegraph, automobile road, and stageline either go through the campground or are very nearby, making Muddy Creek Camp an important part of this area's history.
 
Erected 1997 by
Muddy Creek Area image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, September 22, 2010
2. Muddy Creek Area
Daughters of Utah Pioneers - Sego Lily Camp. (Marker Number 511.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers marker series.
 
Location. 41° 16.16′ N, 110° 36.195′ W. Marker is near Fort Bridger, Wyoming, in Uinta County. Marker is on Piedmont Road (County Road 173) 3.4 miles south of Interstate 80, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker sits some distance off the road but can be easily spotted due to the white steel rails which surround it. There is also a pull-off area to park and a gravel path to the marker. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Bridger WY 82933, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hastings Cutoff - Muddy Creek (approx. 0.4 miles away); Charcoal Kilns (approx. 3.5 miles away); Town of Piedmont (approx. 3.5 miles away).
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
General Area of Muddy Creek Camp image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, September 22, 2010
3. General Area of Muddy Creek Camp
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. This page has been viewed 999 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 5, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement