Eagar in Apache County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Joseph Udall Barn
Erected 2002 by Round Valley Positive Action Tourism Committee and Springerville-Eagar Chamber of Commerce. (Marker Number 14.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Arizona, Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour marker series.
Location. 34° 6.651′ N, 109° 17.453′ W. Marker is in Eagar, Arizona, in Apache County. Marker is on East Central Avenue 0 miles east of Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eagar AZ 85925, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eagar Elementary School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harry Colter Home (approx. ¼ mile away); William LeSueur Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Oscar Jepson Home (approx. 0.4 miles away); Brawley Boarding House (approx. half a mile away); Benjamin B. Crosby Home Snyder-Cavanaugh Shoot Out (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Grist Mill Site (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eagar.
More about this marker. This is Marker Stop #14 on the Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour.
Regarding Joseph Udall Barn. Joseph Udall purchased this farm around 1900 from William Eagar, one of the three brothers after whom the town was named. The home consisted of a large two-story adobe house in front and a small log cabin in he rear that the Eagers had used as a kitchen. The adobe had two rooms on the first floor and two on the second which were reached by an outdoor staircase. The Udalls tore down the log cabin in 1910 and built a two story brick addition to the back of the adobe. It was completed in 1911 and had the first indoor bathroom with running water in Eagar.
Shortly before, Udall had built this barn which is the only remaining building from his prosperous farm.
Source: The Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour Brochure.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 999 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.