Fort Apache in Navajo County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Old Guard House (115A)
The wood frame portion of this building was added later by the Bureau of Indian Affairs when this building served as a bath house for the boys at the school, who were housed in the barracks immediately to the north until the construction of the boy's dormitory in 1932.
Erected by Fort Apache Historic Park and the White Mountain Apache Tribe.
Location. 33° 47.418′ N, 109° 59.204′ W. Marker is in Fort Apache, Arizona, in Navajo County. Marker can be reached from Fort Apache Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Fort Apache Historic Park, 0.7 miles east of AZ-73 on Fort Apache Road. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Apache AZ 85926, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Barracks (115) (within shouting distance of this marker); Boys' Dormitory (116) Guard House (114) (about 400 feet away); Commissary Storehouse (113) (about 400 feet away); Theodore Roosevelt School (118) (about 400 feet away); T.R. School Teachers' Quarters (112) (about 500 feet away); Non-Commissioned Officers' Quarters (110 & 111) (about 600 feet away); Adjutant's Office (117) (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Apache.
More about this marker. All visitors to Fort Apache Historic Park must first register and pay admission at Culture Center, just to the left as you enter the park.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Apache Historic Park. (Submitted on October 11, 2010.)
2. Old Guard House, Circa 1876. The Fort Apache Walking Tour description of the Old Guard House, Building 115-A (Submitted on October 11, 2010.)
3. Fort Apache History. The White Mountain Apache Tripe tells the history of the area including photos. (Submitted on October 11, 2010.)
Categories. • Education • Forts, Castles • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 680 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 10, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.