Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Apache in Navajo County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Barracks Row

 
 
Barracks Row Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 25, 2010
1. Barracks Row Marker
Inscription. Throughout the military history of Fort Apache, enlisted men were housed with their units to the south of Officers' Row. The first company quarters, completed in February 1871, were 18 by 20 foot log squad huts built in rows running north and south across the area that would become the Parade Ground. The first two rows of eight huts each faced each other on the east end of the Parade Ground and housed a troop of cavalry in each row. A third row of five huts was added 300 feet to the west of the cavalry quarters to house infantry. These huts were cold, damp, drafty, overcrowded and infested with bedbugs.

The first company barracks was built of milled lumber in the fall of 1875. An L-shaped building, it was located approximately where the school cafeteria presently stands. In 1878 an adobe barracks, begun in 1875, was completed and two more frame barracks were added. The garrison continued to grow, and in 1881 additional wings were added to two of the barracks to make them U-shaped. In 1882 a fifth, wooden U-shaped barracks was constructed, and in 1885 wings were added to the other original barracks to make them all U-shaped. In 1889 two final adobe barracks were added on each end of Barracks Row, including the ruined structure still standing on the east end of the row.

After the post was abandoned by the military,
Barracks Row Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 25, 2010
2. Barracks Row Marker
View east from marker. The school cafeteria is the red building in the distance.
the barracks were used as dormitories, classrooms, a cafeteria, and for other purposes by the Theodore Roosevelt School until they could be replaced by new school buildings.
 
Erected by Fort Apache Historic Park and the White Mountain Apache Tribe.
 
Location. 33° 47.391′ N, 109° 59.442′ W. Marker is in Fort Apache, Arizona, in Navajo County. Marker is on Scout Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Fort Apache Historic Park, 0.7 miles east of AZ-73 on Fort Apache Road. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Apache AZ 85926, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Girls' Dormitory (120) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Commanding Officer's Quarters (101) (about 400 feet away); T.R. School Cafeteria (119) (about 500 feet away); Captain's Quarters (102 and 103) (about 500 feet away); Parade Ground (about 700 feet away); Commanding Officers' Quarters (104) (about 700 feet away); B.I.A. Club House (105) (about 800 feet away); Theodore Roosevelt School (118) (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Apache.
 
More about this marker. All visitors to Fort Apache Historic Park must first register
Photo Displayed on Marker image. Click for full size.
3. Photo Displayed on Marker
Barracks Row from west. The barracks on the right was located approximately on this site.

Nohwike' Bagowa Collection
and pay admission at Culture Center, just to the left as you enter the park.
 
Also see . . .
1. Fort Apache Historic Park. (Submitted on October 11, 2010.)
2. Fort Apache History. The White Mountain Apache Tripe tells the history of the area including photos. (Submitted on October 11, 2010.) 
 
Categories. EducationForts, CastlesNative Americans
 
Photo Displayed on Marker image. Click for full size.
4. Photo Displayed on Marker
Co.F,11th Infantry, stationed at Fort Apache from October 1892 to May 1898.

Nohwike' Bagowa Collection
Photo Displayed on Marker image. Click for full size.
5. Photo Displayed on Marker
Barracks Row from the east.

Nohwike' Bagowa Collection
Barracks (Ruins) image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 25, 2010
6. Barracks (Ruins)
These ruins represent the last surviving enlisted men's barracks, on the east end of Barracks Row. See Nearby Marker "Barracks (105)" for additional information.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 845 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 10, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.   6. submitted on October 11, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement