Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sandston in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Seven Days Battles - Savage’s Station

 
 
Seven Days Battles - Savage’s Station marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 25, 2007
1. Seven Days Battles - Savage’s Station marker
Inscription. Here Magruder’s line of Battle, facing east, formed in the late afternoon of June 29, 1862. Barksdale’s, Semmes’s and Kershaw’s Brigades, extending from south of this road to the railroad, made a desperate effort to prevent the Union withdrawal. After a fierce struggle the Confederates fell back. In this battle they made the first known use of railway artillery.
 
Erected 1932 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number PA 142.)
 
Location. 37° 31.695′ N, 77° 16.148′ W. Marker is in Sandston, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker is on Meadow Road (County Route 156), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sandston VA 23150, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Savage’s Station (here, next to this marker); McClellan’s Withdrawal (here, next to this marker); Route to White Oak Swamp and Malvern Hill (here, next to this marker); Savage Station (here, next to this marker); Seven Days Battles (a few steps from this marker); McClellan's Third Line
Savage’s Station marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 25, 2007
2. Savage’s Station marker
There are a total of five markers at this location.
(approx. 0.7 miles away); The Trent House (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Seven Days Battles (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandston.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2007, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,127 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2007, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement