Fairfield in Freestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Val Verde Battery
At Mansfield, La., April 1864, captured new, longer-range guns.
Unwilling to lose their guns when the war ended, the men buried four. The last commander, T.D. Nettles, brought this one home to Freestone County.
Erected 1964 by State historical survey committee. (Marker Number 9909.)
Location. 31° 43.533′ N, 96° 9.592′ W. Marker is in Fairfield, Texas, in Freestone County. Marker is at the intersection of East Commerce Street (State Highway 84) and North Keechi Street, on the left when traveling east on East Commerce Street. Touch for map. In the courthouse square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 118 East Commerce Street, Fairfield TX 75840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain L.D. Bradley (a few steps from this marker); Freestone County (a few steps from Butler Church Bell (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Freestone Jail (about 700 feet away); The Fridolin (Fred) Fischer Home (about 700 feet away); The Manahan House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lewis Corner (approx. 8 miles away); Bonner Cemetery (approx. 10.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairfield.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 769 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 17, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 2. submitted on July 5, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 3. submitted on October 17, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 4. submitted on July 5, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.