Staten Island in Richmond County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Rose and Crown Tavern
Rose and Crown Tavern
Erected by The Huguenots in 1665
Demolished in 1854
This Inn was occupied
during the Revolution by
General William Howe
as his Headquarters and here the
Declaration of Independence
was read to the British Officers
July 9, 1776
Erected 1921 by Richmond County Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 40° 34.54′ N, 74° 7.2′ W. Marker is in Staten Island, New York, in Richmond County. Marker is at the intersection of Richmond Road and New Dorp Lane, on the right when traveling east on Richmond Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Staten Island NY 10306, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Dorp, S.I. Honor Roll (a few steps from this marker); Gretta Moulton Gate (approx. 0.7 miles away); Historic Richmondtown (approx. 1.4 miles away); Rezeau-Van Pelt Family Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles St. Andrew’s Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Site of 18th century structures (approx. 1.4 miles away); Church of Saint Andrew (approx. 1.4 miles away); Patriots under Gen. Mercer (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Staten Island.
Also see . . .
1. Morris's Memorial History of Staten Island, New York, by Ira K. Morris (Published 1900). The Rose and Crown Tavern, "stood on the westerly side of the road, almost directly opposite the entrance to New Dorp lane. It was built of stone, and was but one story in height, having several dormer windows in the roof..." (Submitted on August 25, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. This marker on the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation. (Submitted on August 25, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Events • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2008, by Nicholas F Matranga of Staten Island, New York. This page has been viewed 2,048 times since then and 75 times this year. Last updated on October 25, 2010, by Owen Swords of Staten Island, New York. Photos: 1. submitted on August 22, 2008, by Nicholas F Matranga of Staten Island, New York. 2. submitted on May 22, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 3, 4. submitted on May 16, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 5. submitted on August 25, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.