Overall in Page County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Historic Page Valley
Scenic Virginia Highlight
The millstone to your left is one of Overall's industrial artifacts. Gristmills, sawmills, and ironworks were among the Page Valley's earliest industries. The valley's first iron furnace was built in 1760. Flatboats on the South Fork of the Shenandoah River transported both agricultural and industrial goods to market. Until the mid-twentieth century, a ferry at Overall provided access across the river.
In 1851, several local roads on the eastern side of the river were widened, graded, and chartered as the Luray and Front Royal Turnpike. Early in the 1880s, the Shenandoah Valley Railroad, a precursor of today's Norfolk Southern Railroad, was constructed parallel to the turnpike. It soon replaced both river and road
Location. 38° 48.338′ N, 78° 20.949′ W. Marker is in Overall, Virginia, in Page County. Marker is at the intersection of Stonewall Jackson Highway (U.S. 340) and Overall Road, on the right when traveling north on Stonewall Jackson Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rileyville VA 22650, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Overall Bridge (here, next to this marker); Battle of Milford (here, next to this marker); Warren County / Page County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Valley Church of God in Christ Jesus (approx. 4.7 miles away); Asbury Chapel (approx. 7.6 miles away); Indian Old Fields (approx. 8 miles away); The Massanutten (approx. 8.4 miles away); When Pig Iron was King (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Overall.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 423 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.