Near Florence in Florence County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hopewell Presbyterian Church
This church, organized ca. 1770, is the first Presbyterian church in what is now Florence County. Many of its founding families came to S.C. from Scotland and Ireland. The first church here, a frame building, stood across Old River Road with the church cemetery around it, but burned soon after it was completed.
The second church was replaced by this Greek Revival church in 1842, with its two-story portico, gallery, and original pews. Darlington (1827), Florence First (1861), and Effingham (1906) are daughter churches of Hopewell. The church and cemetery were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.
Erected 2008 by Congregation in Memory of Mrs. W.H. (Lydia) Gregg. (Marker Number 21-25.)
Location. 34° 7.703′ N, 79° 37.41′ W. Marker is near Florence, South Carolina, in Florence County. Marker is on Old River Road (County Route 57), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5314 Old River Road, Florence SC 29505, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William W. Harllee (within shouting distance of this marker); Red Doe (approx. Mt. Zion Methodist Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Mt. Zion Rosenwald School (approx. 3.7 miles away); Hewn-Timber Cabins (approx. 4.9 miles away); Francis Marion Memorial Highway (approx. 5 miles away); Atomic Bomb Accident at Mars Bluff, March 11, 1958 (approx. 5.2 miles away); Jamestown (approx. 5.9 miles away); American Legion Post #1 / 2nd Lieutenant Fred H. Sexton (approx. 6.1 miles away); William R. Johnson House / The Columns (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Also see . . .
1. Hopewell Presbyterian Church History. (Submitted on October 27, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina.)
2. Hopewell Presbyterian Church and Hopewell Cemetery. Hopewell Presbyterian Church and Hopewell Cemetery are historically related properties set at opposite sides of Old River Road in the Claussen community of rural Florence County. (Submitted on December 7, 2012, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 894 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on October 28, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 4. submitted on October 28, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 5. submitted on October 27, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 6. submitted on October 28, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.