east of Dagsboro in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number S-23.)
Location. 38° 33.379′ N, 75° 12.178′ W. Marker is in east of Dagsboro, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Vines Creek Road (Delaware Route 26), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Located south side of road east of bridge (over Vines Creek). Marker is in this post office area: Dagsboro DE 19939, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Prince George's Chapel (approx. 2 miles away); Dagsboro (approx. 2.3 miles away); Blackwater Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Antioch Camp Meeting (approx. 2.5 miles away); St. George's United Methodist Church (approx. 3 miles away); Union Wesley United Methodist Church and Campground (approx. 3.1 miles away); Frankford United Methodist Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Harmony United Methodist Church (approx. 3.5 miles away).
Regarding Baltimore Hundred.
The counties of Delaware were originally divided into
Hundreds based on the English use of dividing up counties. On October 25, 1682, William Penn directed that Delaware be divided into hundreds for the purposes of taxation. A "hundred" is an old English Saxon land division which is smaller than a county or shire and larger than a tithing. It comprised ten tithings of ten freeholder families each or one hundred families. The hundreds of Delaware originally served as judicial or legislative districts, but now they remain only as a basis for property tax assessment.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 995 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.