Fairmount in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Indian Mission United Methodist Church
The church was formally incorporated on May 23, 1915. In 1921 a new building was constructed and named Indian Mission M.P. Church. The Nanticoke people continue to hold their religious services here, and the church continues to provide cohesiveness for the Nanticoke to retain their Native heritage and culture.
The oldest marked grave is that of Ann Johnson, who died October 7, 1885. Indian Mission United Methodist Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on April 26, 1979.
Erected 2002 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-122.)
Location. 38° 40.386′ N, 75° 14.056′ W. Marker is in Fairmount, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Harbeson Road (Delaware Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harbeson DE 19951, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint George's Chapel (approx. 1.2 miles away); St. Georges Chapel (approx. 1.2 miles away); Zoar Methodist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); St. John's Methodist Church (approx. 4 miles away); Ancient Paths (approx. 4.4 miles away); Harmony United Methodist Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Indian River Hundred (approx. 6.2 miles away); Broadkiln Hundred (approx. 6.3 miles away).
Regarding Indian Mission United Methodist Church. National Register of Historic Places:
Indian Mission Church ** (added 1979 - Building - #79003307)
Historic Significance: Event
Area of Significance: Native American •
Cultural Affiliation: Nanticoke Tribe •
Period of Significance: 1900-1924 •
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 820 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 5, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.