Mendota in Dakota County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The First Stone House
[symbol of the D.A.R.]
The first stone house erected in the State
of Minnesota by its first Governor,
Gen. Henry Hastings Sibley.
Secured in 1910 for the St. Paul Chapter,
Daughters of the American Revolution
from St. Peter's Parish of Mendota
— by —
Mrs. Lucy Shepard MacCourt.
Presented to the State Society D.A.R.
April 19, 1910.
Erected 1916 by the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 44° 53.278′ N, 93° 9.964′ W. Marker is in Mendota, Minnesota, in Dakota County. Marker is on D Street 0.2 miles north of 1st Street / Sibley Memorial Highway (Minnesota Highway 13). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1357 Sibley Memorial Highway, Mendota MN 55150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry Sibley and Old Mendota (a few steps from this marker); Mendota / Sibley House Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Faribault House "Where the Waters Meet" (within shouting distance of this marker); General Henry Hastings Sibley (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sibley House Historic Site (about 400 feet away); St. Peter's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mendota / Sibley House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mendota.
Also see . . .
1. Sibley House Historic Site. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on November 6, 2010.)
2. Sibley House Historic Site. Museums of Minnesota. (Submitted on November 6, 2010.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 6, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 822 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 6, 2010, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.