Selma in Dallas County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
British West Florida, 1764-83
Colony’s north boundary
Alabama - Mississippi
at this point on 32° 28’
by edict of British king.
Colony extended south to Gulf.
France had ceded area in 1763.
Spain invaded, seized area in 1780.
Britain ceded it to Spain in 1783.
Spain ceded part to U.S. in 1795.
Erected 1954 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 26.772′ N, 87° 0.983′ W. Marker is in Selma, Alabama, in Dallas County. Marker is on State Highway 22, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2940 Citizens Parkway, Selma AL 36701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Valley Creek Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Defense of Selma Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Redoubt No. 15 (approx. 1.6 miles away); R.B. Hudson High School (approx. 1.9 miles away); Tabernacle Baptist Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named Tabernacle Baptist Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Last Stronghold Falls (approx. 2.1 miles away); A Grassroots Movement (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Selma.
Also see . . . Dominion of British West Florida. (Submitted on November 8, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 883 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 7, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. 3. submitted on July 22, 2018, by Jon Pridgen of Millbrook, Alabama. 4. submitted on November 7, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.