Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Cochise in Cochise County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Sulphur Springs

 
 
Sulphur Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 3, 2010
1. Sulphur Springs Marker
Inscription. This valley owes its name to the two springs located one mile north of this monument. From 400 A.D. to 1450 A.D. Indigenous Indians farmed the region. Their bedrock mortar pits remain on the nearby hill. Later Chiricahua Apaches, Spaniards, Mexicans, Anglo-American immigrants and U.S. soldiers used the Springs as a camping ground. Between 1857 and 1878 several stage lines, including the Butterfield Overland Stage Company, operated a relay station here. In 1872, with Tom Jeffords as agent, the Springs became the first headquarters of the short-lived "Chiricahua Indian Reservation." As a result of selling whiskey to the Indians in 1876, storekeepers Nick Rogers and O.O. Spence were murdered and the Apaches were removed to San Carlos. Cattlemen James Pursley and Robert Wolfe, known as "The Sulphur Springs Boys," ranched here until 1885, when they merged with the famous Chiricahua Cattle Company.
 
Erected 2004 by Sulphur Springs Valley Historical Society, Cochise County Historical Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Butterfield Overland Mail marker series.
 
Location. 31° 58.668′ N, 109° 47.808′ W. Marker is near Cochise, Arizona, in Cochise County. Marker is on Birch Road 3.1 miles
Sulphur Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 3, 2010
2. Sulphur Springs Marker
Note the grinding stone embedded in the center of the marker base.
east of U.S. 191, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker sits at near the intersection of Birch Road and North Atiya Drive. Marker is in this post office area: Cochise AZ 85606, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Pearce Post Office (approx. 5.2 miles away); Chief Cochise (approx. 10.7 miles away).
 
Categories. Native AmericansNatural ResourcesSettlements & Settlers
 
Sulphur Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, November 3, 2010
3. Sulphur Springs Marker
View north from monument.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,161 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 10, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of springs. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement