Netcong in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
National Register of Historic Places ē New Jersey Register of Historic Places
Erected by Morris County Heritage Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Morris County Heritage Commission marker series.
Location. 40° 54.054′ N, 74° 42.27′ W. Marker is in Netcong, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is at the intersection of Ladgewood Avenue (New Jersey Route 183) and Main Street, on the right when traveling north on Ladgewood Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Netcong NJ 07857, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hugh Allen Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stanhope, NJ (approx. ľ mile away); Morris & Essex Line – Netcong Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); Budd Lake Community (approx. 2.5 miles away); The Morris Canal Inclined Planes National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark (approx. 2.8 miles away); Waterloo: A Transportation Crossroads (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Morris Canal † 1824 – 1924 (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Netcong.
Also see . . . Musconetcong State Park History. “In 1845 a major agreement between the Sussex Iron Company and the Morris Canal and Banking Company redistributed the water rights to the Musconetcong River. Previously, the two companies had competed for water rights, one to operate an iron industrial complex and the other a canal. The agreement transferred most of the water rights to the canal company which was at that time authorized to construct a reservoir, present Lake Musconetcong, at Stanhope. In return the canal company had to guarantee sufficient water to the Sussex Iron Company to operate its grist mill and blast furnaces.” (Submitted on November 13, 2010.)
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 724 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 13, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.