El Paso in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Southwestern General Hospital
In 1907, a tubercular patient, former New Orleans postmaster David Baldwin, opened the Albert Balwin Health Resort in the Highland Park Addition. Dr Charles M. Hendricks served as medical director.
In 1910 Balwin leased his interests in the clinic to Dr. R. B. Holman, Sr. joined later by Dr John C. Crimen. He developed the resort into the Holdman Sanatorium. A new facility was built here in 1925. Designed by William Wuehrman. It was called "The Place of the Thousand Windows" because of its open styling which allowed maximum sunlight exposure.
With the economic problems of the 1930s depression and advancement of treatments of tuberculosis the need for sanatoriums declined. In 1937, the Holman sanatorium became a general health care facility and was renamed Southwestern General Hospital.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4993.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1221 North Cotton Street, El Paso TX 79930, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Beaumont General Hospital /Biggs Air Force Base / Fort Bliss (approx. 0.3 miles away); Scenic Drive (approx. 0.3 miles away); El Paso International Airport / The Butterfield Trail / Refinery Area (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Rio Grande Rectification Project (approx. 0.3 miles away); El Paso Lower Valley Missions/ Cordova Island/ The City and County of El Paso (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Rainmakers of 1891 (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Franklin Mountains (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Rio Grande Irrigation Project (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Paso.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 754 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 14, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.