San Elizario in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
During its years as a part of Mexico, the Presidio of San Elceario (now San Elizario) was occupied periodically by Mexican troops. A reduced military presence resulted in the Fort's decline.
American control of the area began in 1848, with the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, which established the Rio Grande as the border between the United States and Mexico. When the County of El Paso was organized in 1850, the town of San Elizario was chosen as the first county seat and served as such until 1873. In 1877 it was the scene of the crisis known as the Salt War, in which local businessmen attempted to control the salt market that had operated since colonial times.
Although San Elizario was bypassed by the railroad and has become a rural farming community, it remains an important element in the region's rich heritage.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro marker series.
Location. 31° 35.117′ N, 106° 16.379′ W. Marker is in San Elizario, Texas, in El Paso County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Church Road and Glorietta Road. Touch for map. Marker is located at the San Elizario Memorial Plaza. Marker is in this post office area: San Elizario TX 79849, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Juan de Onate Expedition - 1598 (here, next to this marker); Espejo Beltran Expedition - 1582-1583 (here, next to this marker); San Elizario Memorial Plaza (here, next to this marker); Rodriguez-Chamuscado Expedition - 1581 (here, next to this marker); Salt War (here, next to this marker); The First Thanksgiving (here, next to this marker); The Camino Real (here, next to this marker); Los Portales (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Elizario.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 552 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 16, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 4. submitted on January 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on May 11, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.