Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bennettsville in Marlboro County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Jennings-Brown House

 
 
Jennings-Brown House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, November 11, 2010
1. Jennings-Brown House Marker
Inscription. In 1826 Dr. Edward W. Jones bought a lot at S. Marlboro and present E. Main and built this house thereon shortly after. Owned by Dr. J. Beatty Jennings when Union forces occupied Bennettsville 1865, the house is said to have served as their headquarters. Moved here c. 1905, purchased by Lura G. Brown 1930, and opened by Marlboro County Preservation Commission as a house museum 1976.
 
Erected 1976 by Marlboro County Historic Preservation Commission. (Marker Number 35-23.)
 
Location. 34° 36.969′ N, 79° 40.986′ W. Marker is in Bennettsville, South Carolina, in Marlboro County. Marker is on South Marlboro Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 South Marlboro Street, Bennettsville SC 29512, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Female Academy (a few steps from this marker); J.F. Kinney House / P.M. Kinney House (within shouting distance of this marker); General John McQueen (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bennettsville Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Confederate Civil War Monument
Jennings-Brown House image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, November 11, 2010
2. Jennings-Brown House
(about 400 feet away); Bennettsville (about 400 feet away); Marlborough County Court House (about 500 feet away); Murchison School (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bennettsville.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 551 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 16, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement