Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Lincoln in Annapolis
Lincoln to Secretary Seward, 9:00 am, February 2, 1865 (sent in cipher).
February 2, 1865: President Abraham Lincoln arrived at the Annapolis & Elkridge Railroad depot near this site. He walked through town to the steamer Thomas Collyer at the Naval Academy wharf, accompanied only by his valet Charles Forbes, post quartermaster Capt. Gardner Blodgett, and presidential guard Andrew Smith. Lincoln was enroute to the Hampton Roads Conference at Fort Monroe, Va, having decided only that morning to join Confederate peace commissioners meeting there with Secretary of State William Seward. Ice blocked the normal Potomac River route.
February 4, 1865: Lincoln and Seward returned to Annapolis aboard the River Queen. A special train met the party at the wharf just after 7:00 AM and returned to Washington, ending Lincoln's only visits to Annapolis.
Erected 2009 by Annapolis Lincoln Bicentennial Commission.
Location. 38° 58.694′ N, 76° 29.762′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is at the intersection of West Street and Calvert Street, on the right when traveling west on West Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Annapolis City Gates (a few steps from this marker); Asbury United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); On this site on November 25, 1960 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Claude House (about 500 feet away); The City Spared (about 600 feet away); Lot 70 Is Historically Significant (about 700 feet away); Reynold's Tavern (about 800 feet away); Southgate Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2010. This page has been viewed 585 times since then and 84 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on November 16, 2010. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.