Darlington in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Darlington County Jail
This building, a New Deal project of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Public Works Administration (PWA), was built in 1937 at a cost of $60,000. Called “one of the most modern jails in the South,” it was designed by Rock Hill architect Alfred D. Gilchrist (d. 1944). Its second floor featured separate cell blocks for black and white males and separate cells for black and white females.
The office, kitchen, and jailer’s quarters were on the first floor; hospital and juvenile cells were on the third floor; and cells for minor offenders were in the basement. The jail closed in 1976. Since 1984 it has been the headquarters of the Darlington County Historical Commission. The commission, created in 1965 to maintain a county archives and research repository, also marks area historic sites.
Erected 2009 by the Darlington County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16-60.)
Location. 34° 18.283′ N, 79° 52.292′ W. Marker is in Darlington, South Carolina, in Darlington County. Marker is on Hewitt Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 204 Hewitt St., Darlington SC 29532, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of Darlington County Confederate Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Darlington County / Darlington County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); “Yankee Hill” (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. James Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of First Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lawrence Reese (approx. 0.4 miles away); Darlington Memorial Center (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darlington.
Also see . . . Darlington County, South Carolina - Historical Commission. (Submitted on November 23, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Categories. • Civil Rights • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 575 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.