Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
near Johnson in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Sound Methodist Church

 
 
Old Sound Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 11, 2010
1. Old Sound Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. In April, 1799, one of the state’s first Methodist societies was organized near this site by Reverend Freeborn Garrettson. On April 29, 1784, one acre of ground was purchased here for the erection of a “preaching house.” The Church became known as Williams Chapel, in honor of brothers Arthur and Ezekiel Williams, founding members and prominent local preachers. Services were conducted here until the congregation relocated to a nearby site purchased in 1871. The church building was moved from this location at that time. On December 7, 1896, the Trustees of the church conveyed the property to Charles W. Johnson and Eliza J. Williams, for use as a cemetery.
 
Erected by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-92.)
 
Location. 38° 28.541′ N, 75° 8.258′ W. Marker is in near Johnson, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Johnson Store Road near Zion Church Road (County Road 382), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Selbyville DE 19975, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. U.S. Army Radar Site 11 (approx. 3.8 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (first marker)
Old Sound Methodist Church Marker seen looking south along Johnson Store Road image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 11, 2010
2. Old Sound Methodist Church Marker seen looking south along Johnson Store Road
Old cemetery partially remains here
(approx. 3.8 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (second marker) (approx. 3.8 miles away); Our Community's Role in World War II (third marker) (approx. 3.8 miles away); Home of John G. Townsend, Jr. (approx. 4.6 miles away); Salem United Methodist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); The Fenwick Island Lighthouse (approx. 4.8 miles away); Mason and Dixon Line-Survey Start (approx. 4.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
Old Sound Methodist Church Marker, seen looking north on Johnson Store Road image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 11, 2010
3. Old Sound Methodist Church Marker, seen looking north on Johnson Store Road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 531 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 19, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement