Woodland in Talbot County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Wilsonís Cav. seized Columbus Apr. 16, 1865. On the 17th, Mintyís div. was sent to blaze a trail to Macon. Minty sent the 4th Mich. & 3d Ohio Cav. under Col. B. D. Pritchard on a night march to secure the Flint River crossing at Double Bridges, guarded by 50 Georgia Cavalry Reserves, under Maj. N.C. Osborn. Pritchard, in a surprise attack, with overwhelming forces, seized the island and the two bridges.
Wilsonís Raiders followed Apr. 18-19, via Talbotton, Belleview, Pleasant Hill & Thomaston.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 130-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 49.033′ N, 84° 28.883′ W. Marker is in Woodland, Georgia, in Talbot County. Marker is on Pleasant Hill Street (Georgia Route 36) 0 miles west of Double Bridges Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker stands in front of Pleasant Hill Manor, c. 1834. Marker is in this post office area: Woodland GA 31836, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Old Belleview (approx. 5Ĺ miles away); The Cove Gorges of the Flint (approx. 9.9 miles away); Pettigrew-White-Stamps House (approx. 9.9 miles away); Straus Home Site (approx. 10.2 miles away); Upson County (approx. 10.2 miles away); a different marker also named Straus Home Site (approx. 10.2 miles away); Confederate Dead (approx. 10.2 miles away); Talbot County (approx. 10.3 miles away).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,076 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 19, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.