Dover in Stewart County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Artillery was essential for both Confederate and Union armies, supporting infantry and cavalry by terrorizing and demoralizing enemy troops. Confederates placed artillery in Fort Donelson and around the town of Dover in an attempt to control the Cumberland River and prevent a Federal invasion of Tennessee.
Photographs of Confederate artillery are rare, and none of Stankiewicz's Battery is known to exist. This one of the Palmetto Battery was taken near Charleston, South Carolina, in 1863.
Erected by Fort Donelson National Battlefield - National Park Service - Department of the Interior.
Location. 36° 29.58′ N, 87° 51.451′ W. Marker is in Dover, Tennessee, in Stewart County. Marker is on Fort Donelson Park Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Located at tour stop three, the log huts, on the driving tour of Fort
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quarters for the Troops (within shouting distance of this marker); Life at Fort Donelson (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbiad vs. Carondelet (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gun Positions (about 700 feet away); Control the Rivers and Railroads (about 800 feet away); Exchanging Iron Valentines (about 800 feet away); Powder Magazine (about 800 feet away); Foote's Gunboat Flotilla (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
Also see . . . Fort Donelson. National Park Service site. (Submitted on November 20, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 499 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 20, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.