Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Millen in Jenkins County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Sherman at the Jones Plantation

 
 
Sherman at the Jones Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 8, 2010
1. Sherman at the Jones Plantation Marker
Inscription. On Dec.1, 1864, the 17th Corps (Blairís) of Maj. Gen. W. T. Shermanís army [US] moved from Burton (Midville) to Herndon, Station No. 9, CRR, and camped in and near the town. Gen. Sherman, who had accompanied the 17th Corps since the army passed Sandersville, established his headquarters in the imposing plantation residence of Mr. Joseph B. Jones which stood immediately north of this point.

On the 2nd, the 17th Corps marched from Herndon to Millen, its work details destroying the railroad enroute and its foraging the parties stripping the country of provisions.
 
Erected 1958. (Marker Number 082-10.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Shermans March to the Sea marker series.
 
Location. 32° 49.637′ N, 82° 8.463′ W. Marker is near Millen, Georgia, in Jenkins County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 17 and Morris Road, on the left when traveling east on State Route 17. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Millen GA 30442, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bark Camp Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); a different marker also named Bark Camp Church
Sherman at the Jones Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 8, 2010
2. Sherman at the Jones Plantation Marker
GA Highway 17 is on the left, and Morris Road on the right.
(approx. 5.4 miles away); Sherman at Midville (approx. 5.5 miles away); Pine Barren Crossroads (approx. 6.7 miles away); Old Savannah Road (approx. 6.7 miles away but has been reported missing); Battle of Buck Head Creek (approx. 8.5 miles away); Big Buckhead Church (approx. 8.6 miles away); Cavalry Action at Buckhead Church (approx. 8.6 miles away).
 
Regarding Sherman at the Jones Plantation. The Joseph B. Jones plantation house, where Sherman established his headquarters, was described by Major Henry Hitchcock in his book Marching with Sherman as "Fine place, large three story double frame house, wide porch three sides . . . finest house we have seen yet."

The house survived the war but burned to the ground in 1910.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Sherman at the Jones Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 8, 2010
3. Sherman at the Jones Plantation Marker
Looking southeast from Morris Road at GA Highway 17.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,378 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 20, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement