Near Deepstep in Washington County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Giles Cross Roads
Alexander deeded the land to Capt. John Irvin Giles, CSA, his only son to survive the War Between the States. On Nov. 25, 1864, Sherman’s men camped here and destroyed all of the farm except the house. The pioneer family rebuilt and their descendants have owned the land on these four corners of Giles Cross Roads for 200 years.
Erected 1996 by Giles Family Organization.
Location. 33° 1.885′ N, 83° 0.556′ W. Marker is near Deepstep, Georgia, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Deepstep Road and Indian Trail Road, on the right when traveling west on Deepstep Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sandersville GA 31082, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Deepstep United Methodist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Montpelier Old Fort Wilkinson (approx. 11.7 miles away); Old City Cemetery (approx. 11.8 miles away); Fort Wilkinson (approx. 11.8 miles away); Rev. J. D. Anthony (approx. 11.8 miles away); Masonic Temple (approx. 11.9 miles away); The Brown House (approx. 11.9 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 477 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 29, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.