Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Birmingham in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Berry Project

 
 
The Berry Project Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, April 10, 2010
1. The Berry Project Marker
Inscription. This row of buildings from 2009 to 2017 Second Avenue dates from the early years of the 20th century and has undergone a variety of changes and modernizations over the years. Originally part of a larger building that burned in 1944 (now the site of Brombergsís), 2009 survived and was rebuilt and known for many years as the Lee Building. Martha Washington Lunch originally occupied 2013, and 2017 was originally known as Gunnís Drug Store. Burger Dry Goods was the first occupant of 2015, a fine building designed by H. D. Breeding and completed in 1906. The Burger-Phillips Company occupied the three buildings from 2013-17 in the 1920ís. The Burger building was remodeled in 1939 and again in 1954, both times for large furniture businesses. In the 1960ís the Lee Building was completely faced with marble panels.

In 1983, 2013-17 was redeveloped once more, taking advantage of federal tax credits for historic rehabilitation and removing much of the face material that had obscured the buildings original appearance. At that time 2015 became known as the Berry Building, and that name has been retained.

As part of their commitment to downtown preservation and vitality, developer John Lauriello, Southpace Properties, Inc. and investor Steve Lichter purchased these properties in 1996 and arranged for their rehabilitation as offices
The Berry Project Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, April 10, 2010
2. The Berry Project Marker
for a number of professional firms. Moody & Associates was responsible for design services, and Craftsman Construction was the general contractor. An important aspect of this work was a study of the original appearance of the buildings and an effort was made to recover this as much as possible. Owners and tenants are Longshore, Buck & Longshore; Bouzoukis & Oglesby; Durward & Cromer; Dillard, Goozee & King, Smith, Spires & Peddy, and Atelier Digital, Inc. The individuals represented by these firms have returned this row of historic buildings to successful economic use and this part of the downtown district to a more vital activity.
 
Location. 33° 30.931′ N, 86° 48.34′ W. Marker is in Birmingham, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is on 2nd Avenue North, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2015 2nd Avenue North, Birmingham AL 35203, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dewberry Drugs and Phenix Insurance Company Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); The Heaviest Corner On Earth (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Title Building (about 600 feet away); Morris Avenue Historic District / Elyton Land Company (Successor, Birmingham Realty Co.)
The Berry Project Buildings: 2009 to 2017 Second Avenue North image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, April 10, 2010
3. The Berry Project Buildings: 2009 to 2017 Second Avenue North
(about 600 feet away); Concord Center (about 600 feet away); Jefferson County Courthouse Site (about 600 feet away); S. H. Kress Five-And-Ten Cent Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Rainbow Viaduct (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Birmingham.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 732 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 29, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement