Slaughter Neck United Methodist Church
In 1885 the congregation of “Zion Methodist Episcopal Church” purchased a one acre parcel adjoining the old church lot from Lemuel Draper, upon which a new church was built the following year. The building was enlarged and extensively renovated in 1888. It is believed that the stained glass windows in the present church were obtained at that time. The name of the church was changed to better reflect the community which it served. In 1928 concerns about the condition of the structure prompted members to undertake the construction of the present church. A service commemorating the laying of the cornerstone
This marker was dedicated in memory of Doris Argo, Church Historian and Life Member of Slaughter Neck United Methodist Church - Homecoming 1997.
Erected 1997 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-115.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
Location. 38° 52.137′ N, 75° 20.397′ W. Marker is in Milford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Church Road just from Argos Corner Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milford DE 19963, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Memorial Vol. Fire Co. (approx. 3.6 miles away); Fort Saulsbury (approx. 4.6 miles away); Absalom Jones (approx. 4.7 miles away); Vale-Williams Memorial City Hall (approx. 5.6 miles away); Milford (approx. 5.6 miles away); Major General Alfred T.A. Torbert (approx. 5.6 miles away); Zion United Methodist Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); The Towers (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milford.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 529 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 1, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.