Elkins Park in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Wall House (The Ivy)
Original section, dated from 1682, was built by Richard Wall on land granted by William Penn. An early meeting place of the Society of Friends, 1683-1702. Additions were built about 1725 and 1805. Sarah Wall married George Shoemaker, 1694, and their descendants lived here to 1847. Purchased from the Bosler family, 1932, by Cheltenham Township.
Erected 1982 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 40° 4.695′ N, 75° 7.698′ W. Marker is in Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Wall Park Drive and Church Road, on the right when traveling west on Wall Park Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Wall Park Drive, Elkins Park PA 19027, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shoemaker-Bosler Mill Site (a few steps from this marker); First Assembly of Abington Friends Meeting (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Shoemaker-Bosler Mill Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Beth Sholom Synagogue (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church Lucretia C. Mott (approx. one mile away); Camp William Penn (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Camp William Penn (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkins Park.
Also see . . . The Wall House Museum. (Submitted on December 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 540 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 6. submitted on December 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.