Dubln in Laurens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Captain Hardy Smith House
Capt. Hardy B Smith (1841-1912), CSA, one of Laurens County’s noted veterans, served in the Army of Northern Virginia under General Robert E. Lee. Smith, when war broke out, was called home from classes at the University of Georgia and elected First Sergeant of Co. H, “The Blackshear Guards,” of the 14th Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment. As a second lieutenant, Smith suffered a wound at Mechanicsville resulting in the amputation of his right arm. Yet he served for two more years. He resigned his commission in April 1864 to serve as an enrolling officer of the 5th District of Georgia. After the War he served as Commander of the “Smith Camp,” a division of the United Confederate Veterans and rose to Brigadier General and Commander of the Eastern Division. He was a public servant, farmer, and business man -- Clerk and Treasurer of the Superior Court, Judge of the Court of Ordinary, and original stockholder in the Macon and Dublin Railroad. He married Ella Few Douglas in 1867 and reared ten children in this house. She, her mother, her sister and four other women founded the First Methodist Church. Capt. Smith donated the land next to this house to build the church in 1887.
Capt. Hardy Smith completed this fine example of Carpenter Gothic architecture in 1873.
Erected 2009 by Georgia Civil War Commission.
Location. 32° 32.383′ N, 82° 54.5′ W. Marker is in Dubln, Georgia, in Laurens County. Marker is on West Gaines Street 0 miles west of North Monroe Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 West Gaines Street, Dublin GA 31021, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Laurens County (approx. ¼ mile away); Jefferson Davis (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Jefferson Davis (approx. 1.1 miles away); Vallombrosa Plantation of Governor George Michael Troup (approx. 8½ miles away); The Oconee Electric Membership Corporation (approx. 9½ miles away); Johnson County (approx. 17.1 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 17.1 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 17.1 miles away).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 824 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on December 4, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.