New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
8 in. Columbaid Cannon
The Fifth Company Slocomb's Battery Battallion Washington Artillery of New Orleans, during the siege of that fort by the U.S. forces under Gen. E.R.S. Canby alone served this piece until it was disabled on the tenth day of the siege April 4th, 1865, by the concentrated fire of more than twenty five opposing guns. Thirteen of the company fell dead or wounded around it.
Found twenty six years after in the redoubt where used, it was obtained by the survivors of the company, who along with their comrades of the other companies of the Battallion Washington Artillery, here dedicate on this 19th day of September 1899, as a monument to the dashing and beloved Cuthbert Harrison Slocomb Captain of the Fifth Company, and to the gallant spirits he led who are with him in the life beyond.
Erected by Survivors of the Battallion Washington Artillery.
Location. 29° 56.607′ N, 90° 4.275′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Camp Street 0 miles from Andrew Higgins Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This cannon and marker lie in front
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Atlantic Wall Fragments (within shouting distance of this marker); The Beginning (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Charles Line (about 400 feet away); Julia Row (approx. 0.2 miles away); Starting Point of the First Traditional New Orleans Mardi Gras Parade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Margaret's Place and Walk / Lower Garden District (approx. 0.2 miles away); The 747 (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Patrick's Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Regarding 8 in. Columbaid Cannon. Although the marker uses "columbaid", the generally used spelling for this type of weapon is "columbiad". The marker also uses "battallion", instead of "batallion".
Also see . . . Louisiana's Civil War Museum. Founded in 1891, the museum serves as a repository of Civil War memorabilia for Confederate veterans of Louisiana. (Submitted on December 12, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,009 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on December 12, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. 2. submitted on March 28, 2015, by William Bruce of Madison, Wisconsin. 3, 4. submitted on December 12, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.