On August 24, 1891, 95 acres of the old plantation where slaves had once toiled were purchased for the purpose of establishing the “Delaware College for Colored Students.” Loockerman Hall became the center of the campus, serving variously as a dormitory, classroom, and administration building. In 1971 the structure was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the National Park Service.
Erected 1998 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number K-60.)
Location. 39° 11.119′ N, 75° 32.68′ W. Marker is in Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 13. Touch for map. Marker is in the middle of the campus of Delaware State University. Marker is in this post office area: Dover DE 19904, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Categories. • African Americans • Colonial Era • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 17, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 868 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 17, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.