Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Dr. William Cleland's House

circa 1732

 
 
Dr. William Cleland's House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, December 27, 2010
1. Dr. William Cleland's House Marker
Inscription. This early Georgian single house was apparently built by George Ducat, a shipwright, for his daughter Margaret, on her second marriage in 1732, to Dr. William Cleland, of Crail, Scotland. This section of Tradd Street is one of the few within the original fortified city which escaped the disastrous fires of the 18th-century, and it contains a notable group of early houses.
 
Erected by The Preservation Society of Charleston.
 
Location. 32° 46.488′ N, 79° 55.818′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Tradd Street 0.1 miles east of Meeting Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jacob Motte House (a few steps from this marker); 58 Tradd Street (a few steps from this marker); The George Ducat House (a few steps from this marker); The Colonel Alexander Hext Tenements (within shouting distance of this marker); The William Vanderhorst House (within shouting distance of this marker); William Harvey House
Dr. William Cleland's House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, December 27, 2010
2. Dr. William Cleland's House
(within shouting distance of this marker); Branford-Horry House (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Presbyterian Church of Charleston (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable Buildings
 
Dr. William Cleland's House Marker including : image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2011
3. Dr. William Cleland's House Marker including :
Medallion:
Award 1966
Carolopolis
Condita A.D.
1670
Preservation Society of Charleston
The Carolopolis Award is a plaque placed on buildings that have been preserved, restored, rehabilitated or are outstanding examples of new construction. The award is presented to those individuals, businesses or organizations that currently own the property. The Carolopolis Award is a slightly modified reproduction of the seal of the City of Charleston. The word Carolopolis comes from the original name of the city
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 469 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 27, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.   3. submitted on October 10, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement