Near Sturgeon Bay in Door County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Leathem and Smith Quarry
Erected 1998 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 417.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 44° 54.28′ N, 87° 24.298′ W. Marker is near Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, in Door County Touch for map. Marker is at Olde Stone Quarry County Park, Harbor of Refuge and Boat Launch. Marker is in this post office area: Sturgeon Bay WI 54235, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Propeller and Shaft (here, next to this marker); Door County's Stone Fleet (approx. 2.1 miles away); Eastern Terminus Ice Age National Scenic Trail (approx. 2.5 miles away); The Orchards of Door County (approx. 3.8 miles away); Steam Barge Joys (approx. 4.1 miles away); Bradley Crandall Sawmill Site (approx. 4.2 miles away); Historic Sturgeon Bay (approx. 4.9 miles away); ‘Old Bell’ Tower (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sturgeon Bay.
Regarding Leathem and Smith Quarry.
Until the 1850s nearly all building stone came from cleared farmland or from easily accessible surface deposits. By the 1870s and 1880s with the ease of transportation by water, quarrying became a major industry in Door County. Stone quarried in Door County was used in the manufacture of lime or cement, and for use as riprap. Relatively minor amounts were used for building construction because of the stones poor quality.
Originally, removal of the limestone
As the demand for stone grew around the shores of the Great Lakes, many small quarry operations opened in Door County. Quarries in Baileys Harbor, Door Bluff, Garrett Bay, Eagle Bluff, Marshall’s Point, Mud Bay, and on Washington Island achieved some short-lived success. The opening of the Sturgeon Bay ship canal in 1882 made transportation by water cheaper and helped large-scale commercial quarries thrive and expand. This would eventually drive some of the smaller quarries to go out of business. In 1903 only the Green Quarry, the Laurie Quarry, the Leathem and Smith Quarry, and the Sturgeon Bay Stone Company remained. As World War I broke out and building projects around the Great Lakes halted, so did the
Also see . . . Leathem Smith Lodge History. The stone that now lies beneath Chicago's Lake Shore Drive and the large stone seawall along Chicago's waterfront was quarried at Leathem's quarry and delivered by Leathem Smith Dock Co. vessels. (Submitted on October 5, 2008.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 2,039 times since then and 59 times this year. Last updated on December 29, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 5, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 6, 7, 8. submitted on December 13, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. 9. submitted on December 16, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Prescott Valley, Arizona. 10. submitted on October 5, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.