Near Port Tobacco in Charles County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Ignatius Catholic Church
St. Thomas Manor
—Chapel Point, Maryland —
Erected by the Archbishop Neale Council, Knights of Columbus No. 2279; the Bryantown Council, K. of C. No. 2293; the St. Thomas Manor General Assembly; and the Fourth Degree, K. of C.
Location. 38° 27.934′ N, 77° 1.465′ W. Marker is near Port Tobacco, Maryland, in Charles County. Marker is on Chapel Point Road 4 miles south of Port Tobacco Road (Maryland Route 6). Touch for map. It is inside Chapel Point State Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8855 Chapel Point Rd, Port Tobacco MD 20677, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Ignatius' Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Thomas Manor (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chapel Point Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mulberry Grove (approx. 1.9 miles away); John Hanson (approx. 1.9 miles away); Pine Thicket (approx. 2.1 miles away); John Wilkes Booth and David Herold (approx. 2.1 miles away); Mulberry Grove - Birthplace of John Hanson (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Tobacco.
More about this marker. Maryland’s colonial manors were patterned on the feudal estates found in England during the 17th century. They were large plantations centered around the manor house.
Regarding St. Ignatius Catholic Church. The Reverend Andrew White was among a group of Catholic settlers who arrived in Maryland on the Ark and Dove in 1634.
The Manor House itself is the oldest Jesuit residence in continuous use in the world. Union troops occupied St. Thomas Manor during the Civil War. Fire substantially destroyed the interior of the church and Manor House on December 27, 1866. Both were restored by 1868.
Also see . . . St. Ignatius Church History. (Submitted on May 18, 2007.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Landmarks • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2007, by Richard White of La Plata, Maryland. This page has been viewed 4,671 times since then. Last updated on January 7, 2011. Photos: 1. submitted on May 17, 2007, by Richard White of La Plata, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on June 18, 2007, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 13, 2009, by Jacqueline White of Williamsburg, VA - Virginia. 7. submitted on March 31, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 8. submitted on February 23, 2011. 9. submitted on December 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.