Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Vermillion in Clay County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Bruyer Church

 
 
Bruyer Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rich Pfingsten, April 1, 2009
1. Bruyer Church Marker
Inscription. August Bruyer, his wife, Josephine (Simon) and their sons, John and Julius, were born in France, coming to America about the middle of the nineteenth century. By 1858, they had settled in Fairview Township, 4 miles east of what was to be Vermillion. They were Catholic and in 1859, August donated ten acres for a church site and cemetery. In 1860, a small log dirt floor church was built thereon sited on the SW of the SE of the NE of Section 15, Township 92 North, Range 51 West. This was the first Catholic Church building in South Dakota. The church was dependent thereafter on transient priests until 1879, usually from St. Peter's Church, Jefferson, established in 1862. There was no other Catholic Church in Clay County. In 1879, a resident pastor was appointed for the Church and under the supervision of Father Hennesy, a new and commodious frame church was built, south of the present cemetery, on a site on the south side of the road. The first log church was located on the southeast corner of the present cemetery. This new church served the Vermillion community until a new church was built in Vermillion in 1885 under Father Collins. In 1905 the Fairview parish was discontinued and the members attached to the Vermillion parish. In the Fairview cemetery, gravestones are to be found bearing the names of Bruyer, Lynch, Carey and other early
Bruyer Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rich Pfingsten, April 1, 2009
2. Bruyer Church Marker
From a distance.
settlers.
 
Erected 1966 by Marquette Assembly, Knights of Columbus, Sioux Falls and South Dakota Highway Commission.
 
Location. 42° 47.194′ N, 96° 50.979′ W. Marker is near Vermillion, South Dakota, in Clay County. Marker is on State Highway 50 3 miles west of Interstate 29, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Pull off highway and park on asphalt/grass road leading to St. Agnes Fairview cemetery's gated entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Vermillion SD 57069, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Rural Electric Cooperative (approx. 1.1 miles away); Homestead Rest Area (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Great Missouri River (approx. 3.2 miles away); St. Mary's Catholic Church (approx. 5 miles away); Mulberry Bend Scenic Overlook (approx. 7.2 miles away in Nebraska); a different marker also named The Great Missouri River (approx. 7.2 miles away in Nebraska); Lewis and Clark Visit Spirit Mound (approx. 7.8 miles away); Lewis and Clark Were Here...and Here... (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vermillion.
 
Regarding Bruyer Church. The "new and commodious frame church" described is no longer evident in the farmed
St. Agnes Fairview Cemetery Entrance image. Click for full size.
By Rich Pfingsten, April 1, 2009
3. St. Agnes Fairview Cemetery Entrance
field on the south side of the road (see photo). One of the street photos on Google Earth shows the southeast corner of the current cemetery where the original log church was situated, but remnants were not readily evident. The cemetery though is clearly evident and sporadically placed stones are placed throughout a sparse grove of trees.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
 
New Bruyer Church Location image. Click for full size.
By Rich Pfingsten, April 1, 2009
4. New Bruyer Church Location
Location on south side of SD 50 where the "new and commodious frame church" was located. No evidence of former church identified in farm field.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2011, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 839 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 13, 2011, by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement