Auburn in Lee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Auburn University Chapel
The University Chapel is the oldest public building in the city of Auburn. Built as a Presbyterian Church, the first service was held in the original Greek Revival-style building on September 13, 1851. Edwin Reese, spiritual leader of the tiny congregation, had the bricks made by slaves on his plantation. The founder of the town, Judge John J. Harper, gave the land. The first minister was the Rev. Albert Shotwell. The small church has seen several renovations over the years, and dramatically changed in appearance from Greek Revival to Gothic style. Originally the church had two entrances, one for men and one for women. The church building has served many purposes, and played an integral part in the town’s history. In the 19th Century it was used as a Confederate hospital, a meeting place for the first Episcopal congregation, and in 1887 when the main building burned at Alabama Polytechnic Institute, the college used the building for a temporary classroom. By 1917, the Presbyterian congregation with over 100 members, moved to their new building on the corner of Gay and Thach. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the Department of the Interior, National Park Service, May 22, 1973.
In 1921, the Alabama Polytechnic Institute acquired the building which had been
Erected 1994 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Auburn Heritage Association.
Location. 32° 36.268′ N, 85° 28.895′ W. Marker is in Auburn, Alabama, in Lee County. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 143 East Thach Avenue, Auburn AL 36830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lathe (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Auburn WWI Memorial (about 400 feet away); Desegregation at Auburn (about 500 feet away); Auburn - Alabama (about 700 feet away); Auburn University (about 700 feet away); Auburn 1865~Present / The "Loveliest Village" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toomers Corner And The Bank Of Auburn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Auburn United Methodist Church Founder's Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Auburn.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 21, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,288 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 21, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.