Madison in Madison County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Jackson’s March to Fredericksburg
Erected 1929 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number JE-1.)
Location. 38° 23.11′ N, 78° 15.184′ W. Marker is in Madison, Virginia, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (Business U.S. 29) and Old Blue Ridge Turnpike (Virginia Route 231), on the right when traveling south on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison VA 22727, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James L. Kemper Residence (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cpl. Clinton Greaves (1855-1906) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hebron Lutheran Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Joseph Early Home Oak Grove Baptist Church (approx. 4.1 miles away); Battle of Jack’s Shop (approx. 5.4 miles away); Blue Ridge Turnpike (approx. 5.9 miles away); A Camp of Stonewall Jackson’s (approx. 6.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Jackson’s March to Fredericksburg. “Jackson, who had been busy in the [Shenandoah] valley breaking up the line of the Baltimore & Ohio railroad and keeping the Federal authorities uneasy as to his whereabouts, promptly obeyed Lee’s order to follow after Longstreet, but by ways farther to the westward. By making demonstrations at Chester and Thornton gaps, of the Blue ridge, he mystified those watching his movements by marching up the valley to New Market, thence taking the great highway leading across the Massanutton, the south fork of the Shenandoah, the
Additional keywords. Maj. Gen. Thomas J. Jackson
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,209 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 5, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.