Church Creek in Dorchester County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Mary, Star of the Sea Chapel & Cemetery
Chapel enlarged in 1819 and in 1888. Surpressed and sold in 1874 when new church build nearby. Deeded back to the congregation in 1961 by Joseph & Dorothy Belfiore.
Restoration (1976) made by Rev. Edward B. Carley through generosity largely of Annita Applegarth France, a descendant of Richard Tubman.
Erected by Samuel Alexander Tubman IV.
Location. 38° 23.183′ N, 76° 14.859′ W. Marker is in Church Creek, Maryland, in Dorchester County. Marker is on Hoopers Island Road (Route 335) 0.8 miles west of Smithville Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Church Creek MD 21622, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hoopers Island (approx. 2.9 miles away); New Revived Church-Family & Faith Connections (approx. 6.2 miles away); Battle of the Ice Mound (approx. 6.3 miles away); The Becky Phipps (approx. 6.3 miles Trapped (approx. 6.3 miles away); First School House (approx. 6.7 miles away); Chapel of Ease (approx. 6.7 miles away); Old Schoolhouse (approx. 6.7 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,743 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 5, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 15, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 5, 6. submitted on December 5, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.