Americus in Sumter County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The house is believed to have been built circa 1855 by Willis A. Hawkins, associate justice of the Georgia Supreme Court. It was purchased a few years later by Howell Cobb, Secretary of the Treasury, Congressman, Governor of Georgia (1851-53), and Major General in the Confederate States Army. Other past owners of this house include S. H. Hawkins, president of the Savannah, Americus and Montgomery Railway, and Dr. W. S. Prather, physician.
Erected 1961 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 129-7.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 3.938′ N, 84° 13.8′ W. Marker is in Americus, Georgia, in Sumter County. Marker is at the intersection of South Lee Street (Georgia Route 377) and East College Street, on the left when traveling south on South Lee Street. Touch for map Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Speaker Crisp (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rees Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Confederate Hospitals (approx. half a mile away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Poverty Housing: A Global Epidemic (approx. 0.7 miles away); Elm Tree (approx. 0.7 miles away); Welcome to Latin America/Caribbean (approx. ¾ mile away); Deadly Insects (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Americus.
Regarding Federal Headquarters. The house no longer stands; an apartment building is on the site.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Federal Headquarters.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 10, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 564 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 10, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.