General David Blackshear made his headquarters here, and it was from Hartford in 1815 that he and his troops began their march to the Flint River, cutting the famous military road to that point. General Andrew Jackson with his army encamped at Hartford before starting their march to Fort Early in 1818. When the lands on the west side of the Ocmulgee River were acquired from the Indians, the high bluff on that side was considered a better site for a town, and many of the buildings of Old Hartford were torn down and transported across the river, to become a part of the new county seat, Hawkinsville.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 116-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. De Soto Trail (approx. half a mile away); The 1812 Soldiers (approx. half a mile away); Slosheye Trail (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pulaski County (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bleckley County (approx. 9.3 miles away); Sgt. John F. Conner, Sr. (approx. 9.3 miles away); Lucian A. Whipple (approx. 9.3 miles away); Dedicated to the Memory of James (Jim) Earnest Cook (approx. 9.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hawkinsville.
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 16, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 610 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 16, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.