Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Georgia Railroad Freight Depot
A 1935 fire destroyed the upper floors and cupola. The building served its original purpose for nearly a century. Upon completion of the structure in 1869, the local press said, in part: “The new Georgia Railroad Depot is recognized at a glance as an ornament and benefit to the city and reflects credit on the spirit and live character of the President and Directors of the Georgia Railroad.”
Georgia Railroad Depot
This is one of the oldest buildings in downtown Atlanta. It was completed on April 22, 1869, and served as the main freight depot for the Georgia Railroad. Corput and Bass, architects, Thomas Alexander, contractors, B.H. Broomhead, carpenter, and Hayden and Healy, masons, were responsible for the construction at a cost of $35,000.00.
The end of the building once held offices and was three stories high with a balcony on the second floor and a cupola on the hipped roof. Much of the building burned in January, 1935 and it was subsequently rebuilt in its present form. The Georgia Building Authority bought the building in 1981 and renovated it for public use.
Erected 1985 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 060-171.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 45.101′ N, 84° 23.325′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Central Ave SW and Alabama Street SW. Touch for map. The Old Georgia Railroad Freight Depot is located on Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, between Courtland Street and Central Avenue. It is under a mural of whales and near Underground Atlanta. The marker in picture 2 is located inside the restored railroad depot doors. Marker is at or near this postal address: One Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Atlanta GA 30303, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of The Burning and Destruction of Atlanta (within shouting distance of this marker); The Eternal Flame Of The Confederacy (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Immaculate Conception Church (about 500 feet away); Historic Ground (about 700 feet away); John Brown Gordon (about 700 feet away); Fulton County (about 800 feet away); Transfer of Command (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Battle of Atlanta (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
More about this marker. At the bottom of the sign is a caption for a now missing picture. The picture was a, "view of the building from July 1898," when the building was, "then nearly three decades old."
Also see . . . History of the Georgia Railroad. (Submitted on December 20, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2007, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 4,648 times since then and 208 times this year. Last updated on February 26, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 18, 2007, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.