Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cartersville in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Bartow County

 
 
Bartow County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 19, 2011
1. Bartow County Marker
Inscription. Originally Cass, Bartow County was created by Act of Dec. 3, 1832 from Cherokee County. The name was changed Dec. 6, 1861 to honor Gen. Francis S. Bartow (1816-1861), Confederate political leader and soldier, who fell mortally wounded at the First Battle of Manassas, while leading the 7th and 8th Ga. Vols. of his brigade. His last words were said to be, “They have killed me, boys, but never give up.” First officers of this county, commissioned March 9, 1833, were: Benjamin F. Adair, Sheriff; Chester Hawks, Clerk Superior Court; Leathern Rankin, Clerk Inferior Court; Nealy Goodwin, Surveyor; John Pack, Coroner.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 008-43.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 34° 9.948′ N, 84° 47.833′ W. Marker is in Cartersville, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is at the intersection of West Cherokee Avenue and North Erwin Street, on the right when traveling west on West Cherokee Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cartersville GA 30120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. God Bless America (about 400 feet away,
Bartow County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 19, 2011
2. Bartow County Marker
measured in a direct line); Private First Class Jerry Wayne Gentry (about 500 feet away); Tribute on Monument / 38 Names on Monument (about 500 feet away); Friendship Monument (about 500 feet away); Old Bartow County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Home of Sam P Jones (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Sam Jones' Tabernacle (approx. half a mile away); Amos T. Akerman (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cartersville.
 
Regarding Bartow County. The marker stands on the lawn of the Bartow County Courthouse.
 
Categories. Political SubdivisionsWar, US Civil
 
Bartow County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 19, 2011
3. Bartow County Marker
The Bartow County Confederate Monument and Bartow Courthouse are in the background.
Bartow County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 19, 2011
4. Bartow County Marker
Looking east on Cherokee Avenue at the intersection with Erwin Street
Bartow County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 19, 2011
5. Bartow County Courthouse
This courthouse, completed in 1903, was the second in Cartersville. It has recently been renovated and enlarged. The earlier courthouse still stands by the railroad tracks, used as a warehouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 749 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 28, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement