Saratoga Springs in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Discovered in 1803 by Gideon Putnam while clearing land around Congress Park. Purchased by John Clark in 1823, he constructed a Grecian pavillion over it in 1840.
The City and Historical Society rebuilt the structure in 1981.
Presently the water flows here from Loughberry Lake, the City's water supply.
Erected by Department of Public Works.
Location. 43° 4.689′ N, 73° 47.144′ W. Marker is in Saratoga Springs, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Congress Street and Broadway Avenue (U.S. 9). Touch for map. The marker is located beside a foot path within Congress Park. Marker is in this post office area: Saratoga Springs NY 12866, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Solomon Northup (within shouting distance of this marker); Congress Park (within shouting distance of this marker); The 77th Regiment, New York Volunteers (within shouting distance of this marker); New York State County Highway Superintendents Association (approx. ¼ mile away); Standard Time (approx. 0.4 Bryan Home (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lincoln Bathhouse (approx. one mile away); Hall of Springs (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saratoga Springs.
Also see . . . Springs in Congress Park. Waters of Saratoga - Saratoga Mineral Springs (Submitted on February 21, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Environment • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 487 times since then and 46 times this year. Last updated on March 3, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 21, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 4. submitted on March 3, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.