Glendale in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Water & Power
—at Sahuaro Ranch . . . —
When Sahuaro Ranch was built, and for some years afterward, water and electricity had to be provided by the owners themselves, often at great expense.
Drinking water was obtained from a groundwater well located in the back yard of the Main House, underneath what is now the wood-frame rear addition. In 1898, when the addition was built, the well was enclosed and storage tanks and a windmill were erected atop the roof. This gave the Main and Guest Houses indoor plumbing well before most other Arizonans were able to enjoy such a luxury.
Electricity came later to the ranch. Sometime around 1901, a gasoline generator is believed to have been installed to supply power for lights and fans in the two houses. After the Smith family took over the ranch in 1927, they built this Pump House (directly ahead of this sign) and installed a generator that produced all the electricity used on the farm.
On the Ranch Today
Today Sahuaro Ranch receives its drinking water from the City of Glendale, so the well inside has been covered and is no longer usable. Electricity is now supplied by SRP, which began service to the ranch around 1930.
[Photo captions follow]
The above view of the rear of the Main House, taken sometime in the early 1900s, shows the windmill and water tanks that once were
The Pump House, above on the right, was restored by the City of Glendale in the 1980s. (Photo courtesy of Glendale, Arizona Historical Society).
Erected by Glendale Parks & Recreation.
Location. 33° 34.533′ N, 112° 11.327′ W. Marker is in Glendale, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Touch for map. Marker is to the rear of the Main House, at Sahuaro Ranch Park Historic Area. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9802 North 59th Avenue, Glendale AZ 85302, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sahuaro Ranch Residence (a few steps from this marker); Adobe House (within shouting distance of this marker); Main House and Guest House (within shouting distance of this marker); Foreman's House (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Sahuaro Ranch Fruit Packing Shed (about 400 feet away); Well House (about 400 feet away); Orchards (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glendale.
Also see . . .
1. History of Sahuaro Ranch Park. (Submitted on March 3, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Brief History of Windmills. (Submitted on March 3, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 3, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 607 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 3, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.