Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Commercial Block

1211-1217 East Cary Street

 
 
Commercial Block Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 5, 2011
1. Commercial Block Marker
Inscription. This commercial row of warehouses and retail structures was built immediately after the Civil War, in 1866, to serve the nearby James River and Kanawha Canal.

The Doric colonnade framing the doorways and windows on this building was produced in Richmond by Asa Snyder, who owned several ornamental iron companies during his career.

The partial cast-iron fronts of many of our 19th-century buildings were supplied by the well-known iron industry in Richmond. In addition to serving as a dignified and fairly economical facade, the fronts were believed to be a fireproof method of ornamentation.

In the 19th and early 20th centuries, these buildings, like their neighbors, were storehouses for liquor, groceries, and tobacco: but from 1948 until the late 1970s they served as a barrel factory. Now the row has been renovated and converted to attractive office and retail space.
 
Location. 37° 32.117′ N, 77° 26.033′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Cary Street (Virginia Route 147) and South 13th Street, on the right when traveling east on East Cary Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the northeast corner of the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1217 East Cary Street, Richmond VA 23219, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Urban Farmhouse Market & Café (E Cary St & S 13th St) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 5, 2011
2. Urban Farmhouse Market & Café (E Cary St & S 13th St)
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Columbian Block (a few steps from this marker); 1300-1304 East Cary Street (a few steps from this marker); Bowers Brothers Coffee and Tea Building (within shouting distance of this marker); 1200 Block East Cary Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Powers-Taylor Building (within shouting distance of this marker); 1201 East Cary Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First Telephone Exchange South of the Potomac River (about 400 feet away); Black Hawk (1767-1838) (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
More about this marker. On top is an early 20th-century photograph of the block courtesy of the Richard Cheek for Historic Richmond Foundation.
 
Also see . . .
1. Historic Shockoe Slip, Richmond. (Submitted on March 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. The Urban Farmhouse Market & Café. (Submitted on March 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 5, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement