Benicia in Solano County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Benicia Historic Tannery - Circa 1890
A three-story brick building was sited on First Street, sprawling sheds holding mountains of tanbark from Humboldt County lined East Second Street and an imposing five-story rolling building dominated the area near C and First Streets. Overhead covered walkways linked structures, with one spanning across First Street.
At its production height, the tannery employed over 300 local workers, primarily Portuguese and Greek. It ceased Benicia operations in 1928 and the buildings were vacated. A series of fires erupted following the facility's closure, causing destruction of all buildings by 1945.
Location. 38° 2.788′ N, 122° 9.651′ W. Marker is in Benicia, California, in Solano County. Marker is on First Street north of East B Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 296 First Street, Benicia CA 94510, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Merritt House C. 1869 (about 400 feet away, Solano Hotel (about 700 feet away); Dedicated to the Memory of Pony Express Riders (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pony Express Ferry “Carquinez” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jack London (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Bohn Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Founders of Benicia (approx. ¼ mile away); Robert Semple (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Benicia.
Also see . . . Benicia Tannery was one of the state’s best. Sabine Goerke-Schode's article (6/21/2008) on the development of the leather tanning industry in Benicia: "... During the 19th century, canneries and tanneries formed the core of Benicia’s economy. The earliest tannery, the Pioneer Tannery, was founded in 1864 and underwent several changes of ownership. Within a short time period others followed, creating a cluster of tanneries." (Submitted on March 12, 2011.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 782 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 12, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.