Nashville in Davidson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Saint Cecilia Academy
Erected 1971 by The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County. (Marker Number 47.)
Location. 36° 11.246′ N, 86° 48.004′ W. Marker is in Nashville, Tennessee, in Davidson County. Marker is at the intersection of Dominican Drive and Athens Way, on the right when traveling east on Dominican Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nashville TN 37208, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Temple Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Freeland's Station (approx. 0.7 miles away); Assumption Church / Cardinal Stritch (approx. one mile away); Adolphus Heiman (approx. 1.1 miles away); Germantown Historic District Heaton's Station (approx. 1.1 miles away); Griggs Hall (approx. 1.2 miles away); Desegregating Nashville's Lunch Counters (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nashville.
More about this marker. Saint Cecilia Academy moved from its orginal location here at this marker to a new facility at 4210 Harding Road in 1957. The original property is maintained as a motherhouse and noviate (the period of preparation before formal admission to religious life).
"With the city's growth and general movement westward, in 1923 the Congregation decided to purchase the ninety–two acre Joseph Warner Estate in West Nashville. Thirty–three years later, on the feast of St. Cecilia, November 22, 1956, ground was broken on the Overbrook property for the new St. Cecilia Academy. A year later, the statue of St. Cecilia was set in place and the new building on Harding Road was dedicated by Bishop Adrian."
- Quote from the The History of St. Cecilia Academy at the link provided.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 10, 2007, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 1,678 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2007, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.