Elkhart Lake in Sheboygan County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Historic Race Circuits of Elkhart Lake
Marker donated by: Elkhart Lake Improvement Association · Established 1964.
Historic Race Circuits of Elkhart Lake listed on the National Register of Historic Places February 17, 2006.
Erected 2006 by Historic Race Circuits of Elkhart Lake; Elkhart Lake Improvement Association. (Marker Number 8.)
Location. 43° 50.128′ N, 88° 1.271′ W. Marker is in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, in Sheboygan County. Marker is at the intersection of Birchwood Drive (County Road JP) and Gottfried Street (County Road J), on the right when traveling east on Birchwood Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elkhart Lake WI 53020, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Peck's Alley (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1951–52 Start/Finish (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elkhart Lake Road Race Circuits (approx. ¼ mile away); Briggs' Bend (approx. ¼ mile away); The Hard Left The Lake Street Walkway (approx. half a mile away); Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); The Hard Right (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkhart Lake.
More about this marker. The Village of Elkhart Lake and the roads surrounding Elkhart Lake hosted open-road sports car racing in 1950, 1951 and 1952. Fourteen historical markers were placed around the circuits (to commemorate the names and the events that occurred) by Historic Race Circuits of Elkhart Lake, a Wisconsin non-profit corporation.
Also see . . . Racing Sports Cars. Ted Boynton. (Submitted on March 23, 2011.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 23, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on August 20, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.