Hawthorne in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1774, noted botanist William Bartram travelled across what is now the southeastern corner of Alachua County following an old Indian and trading trail. In Florida's territorial period, English-speaking settlers used the same route as a frontier road. By 1840, another road form the north crossed that trail near present day Hawthorne. In 1848, Morrison had begun to operate a mill there on what Bartram had described as a "rapid brook." A United States post office called Morrison's Mills was established at that site in 1853 in order to serve the increasing population of the area.
In 1879, the Peninsular Railroad was completed from Waldo to Ocala, bypassing Morrison's Mills. In that year, a new town grew up nearer the railroad. This village was at first called Jamestown, but in 1880, the name was changed to Hawthorne. Both names were in honor of James M. Hawthorn, a local landowner. In 1881, the Florida Southern Railway was completed from Palatka to Gainesville, crossing the Peninsular Railroad at Hawthorne. In the 1880's the community there was also known unofficially as Wait's Crossing in reference to another family living in the area. In 1883, a stone quarry near Hawthorne became the site of Florida's earliest phosphate mill. The mill was operated for two years by Dr. C. A. Simmons, who in 1879
Erected 1973 by Alachua County Historical Commission In Cooperation With Department of State. (Marker Number F- 212.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the William Bartram Trails marker series.
Location. 29° 35.656′ N, 82° 5.201′ W. Marker is in Hawthorne, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is on 221st Street near 65th Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hawthorne FL 32640, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Daniel Scott Plantation (approx. 4.2 miles away); The Edgar Post Office (approx. 8 miles away); Melrose Veterans Memorial (approx. 8.2 miles away); Melrose United Methodist Church (approx. 8.2 miles away); Melrose Cemetery (approx. 8.2 miles away); Melrose High School (approx. 8.4 miles away); Melrose Woman's Club (approx. 8˝ miles away); Rochelle Vicinity (approx. 8˝ miles away).
Regarding Hawthorne. Due to financial difficulties, the Atlantic,
The Florida Transit and Peninsular Railroad was merged with the Florida Central and Western Railroad, Fernandina and Jacksonville Railroad and Leesburg and Indian River Railroad in 1884-85 to form the Florida Railway and Navigation Company.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 969 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 25, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.