San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Site of Ship Niantic
The fire of May 3, 1851, destroyed all but the submerged hulk which was later utilized as the foundation for the Niantic Hotel, a famous hostelry which stood until 1872.
This tablet was placed by the Historic Landmarks Committee of the Sons of the Golden West, Sept. 19, 1919.
Erected 1919 by Native Sons of the Golden West.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 37° 47.692′ N, 122° 24.105′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker is on Clay Street near Sansome Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker is located in an alcove on the Clay Street side of the building at 505 Sansome Street, just to the east of the Transamerica Pyramid. Marker is at or near this postal address: 505 Sansome Street, San Francisco CA 94111, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The San Francisco Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (within shouting distance of this marker); Bummer and Lazarus (within shouting distance of this marker); The General Harrison (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Commander John B. Montgomery's Landing Site (about 400 feet away); Bank of Italy (about 400 feet away); William Alexander Leidesdorff (about 400 feet away); "The Family" (about 400 feet away); Site of What Cheer House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
Also see . . .
1. The Historic American Building Survey Record for the Niantic Hotel. Contains one picture and some notes on the Niantic. (Submitted on March 25, 2011.)
2. Buried Ships. Ron Filion's SFgenealogy article on the large number of ships that were abandoned in Yerba Buena Cove in San Francisco during the Gold Rush, and thus became, literally, the city's foundations. On the Niantic: The Niantic was uncovered in August 1872 after the demolition of the Hotel Niantic. She was 119½ feet long with copper bottom plating. Twenty feet below the surface of Clay street the planks and ribs and stout keel were exposed. The Niantic was hauled to the corner of Clay and Sansome in 1849. In one of the great fires that swept the city, on May 4, 1851, it was burned down to (Submitted on March 25, 2011.)
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 775 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 24, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 4. submitted on March 24, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 5, 6. submitted on March 5, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.